Consider the Kimpossibilities

A record of my personal flaws: internet addiction, child neglect & endangerment, and bitchiness. p.s. Most of this is LIES and whatever isn't a lie is exaggeration.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Chickens Can Help You Learn English

This is what it's like to teach ESL. Here's a conversational excerpt from last night's class:

Kim: OK, let's talk about vocabulary ... what words from your reading were confusing?

Student1: What is a kuh-nick kuh-nack?

Kim: Ummm, a what?

S2: Yes, I no understand that word too.

Kim: How do you spell this word?

S1: k-n-i-c-k ...

Kim: Oh, a knick-knack ... we don't pronounce the "k" sound. Knick-knacks are small objects in your house that may or may not have some particular theme ... like I collect chicken knick-knacks because I like chickens.

S3: What's "particular"?

S4: Why you like chickens?

Kim: Ummm ... OK, "particular" means, like "specific." I like chickens because we have three chickens and I like to eat eggs.

S4: I like eggs too ... especially with tomato paste.

Kim: Mmmm, that sounds good, you'll have to give me your recipe. So, back to vocabulary ... what other words were difficult?

S2: I no understand this word, "vivid."

S4: Do you fry your eggs or boil them?

Kim: Both. "Vivid" is an adjective that means extremely clear or bright. When you write vivid details then your reader understands well. Other words?

S3: Eggs ... quite ... I can't pronounce it.

Kim: Show me in the book.

S3: Here, on page 63. Oh, exquisite? "Exquisite" is like better than beautiful. It's a VERY vivid adjective that is more specific than words such as "lovely" or "pretty."

S4: I think fried eggs with tomato paste are exquisite. Do you like eggs like that, Kim or do you just like them plain?

Kim: Both. Now, let's move on from eggs to another topic ...

S3: What about this word "skeepreenic"?

Kim: I'm not sure, show me ... Oh, "schizophrenic." That's a mental condition where a person sees or hears things or people that aren't really there.

S4: I think I had that. Aren't these people paranoid too? Or do they just see things that are not there?

Kim: Both. OK, well that's enough vocabulary for today.

S4: Kim, do you really have chickens, or are you schizophrenic?

Kim: Both.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger MJ said…

    S4 is a clever little bugger! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home