Consider the Kimpossibilities

A record of my personal flaws: internet addiction, child neglect & endangerment, and bitchiness. p.s. Most of this is LIES and whatever isn't a lie is exaggeration.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

A different kind of posting

Last night I watched Hotel Rwanda and nearly logged on to www.peacecorps.org to apply. I find it difficult to believe that I hardly knew anything about the fact that 500,000 Tutsi Rwandans were murdered in 1994 when I was a senior in high school and Bill freakin' Clinton was President. Eighteen is old enough to know about mass genocide and a democratic president should've done at least SOMETHING to either prevent it or at least try to stop it before it went as far as it did.

After watching a movie like this, I feel so ashamed for using this blog (or any other medium) to complain about my easy little life. I don't know how to deal with my feeling that it's not enough just to simply do what I already consider to be an impossibly difficult task: raising a child to be compassionate about the tragedies of people all around the world while we sit here in Land of the Lucky blogging away.

If you haven't already, go watch Hotel Rwanda and then say thanks (to whomever you pray to) that you are so damn fortunate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home